What we do
Sustainable Ottawa is incorporated as a non-profit cooperative, that is, a cooperative without share capital. The organization and operation of Sustainable Ottawa is in accordance with the Ontario Co-Operative Corporations Act (the Act). Details on the operation of Sustainable Ottawa will be included in the Co-Op’s By-Laws that are currently being drafted by the Directors and will comply with the Act. Sustainable Ottawa will work on projects within the NCR selected and approved by cooperative members. Our mission, vision and goals are listed below:
Sustainable Ottawa Community Energy Co-Op is a community based non-profit organization. Our mission is to make sustainable technologies, products and services more accessible and economically viable to people within the NCR. We do so through increasing public awareness of sustainable energy technologies (i.e. solar and wind), and by using the collective bargaining power of the Co-Op to reduce the cost of sustainable energy technologies for members of the Co-Op and the public.
Sustainable Ottawa’s vision is to promote renewable energy technologies that are environmentally, socially and financially sustainable in order to improve the quality of life for all residents of the NCR.
- The creation of a self-reliant, environmentally, socially and financially sustainable National Capital Region that is a model for the country and a source of pride for all Canadians.
- The promotion of innovation in sustainable energy technologies.
- Increasing the accessibility and awareness of sustainable energy technologies.
- Improving the market for renewable energy and other forms of sustainable technology.
- Inspiring the responsible usage of sustainable technology into everyday life for individuals and groups by providing leadership and advocacy.
- Partnering with other organizations, companies and government agencies to develop a variety of projects that achieve our vision